Pen and ink settings
App Settings > Annotation > Pressure sensitive
This toggles the ability for Drawboard PDF pen input to sense the pressure sensitivity of a specific device pen
Note: Device specific pens are also known as an 'Active' pens, they touchscreen pens with more features. Examples are the Microsoft Surface Pen, Lenovo Pen, Apple Pencil, etc.
Touch Ink Smoothing
Note: Touch settings are only available on devices with a detected touchscreen
App Settings > Touch > Touch ink smoothing
Drawboard PDF allows users to toggle Touch Smoothing so users who do not benefit from a device specific stylus can turn on smoothing when drawing.
If you are a touch-only user and your inking is not auto-smoothing, please make sure you have 'Touch Smoothing' enabled.
Pen/ink issues/thinnest pen size too thick
Due to multiple factors, you might be having issues with your drawing experience, especially in newer Windows updates.
App Settings > Annotation > Use legacy digital ink
Why is my ink slow or lagging?
The speed of inking is significantly affected by the performance of your device and the other processes that are running while you are writing. If you are experiencing problems with slow inking, try the following:
- Close background applications. If you have not used the Task Manager before to identify CPU-intensive applications.
- Toggle 'Pressure Sensitive Ink' and 'Use Legacy Digital Ink' in case it helps
- Reduce the size of your PDF (large PDFs such as textbooks can put a heavy load on the application) by splitting it up into smaller parts for annotating. Our Document Builder found in our PRO subscription could help.
- Reinstall the app. That usually fixes most issues, else update the pen and device graphics drivers.
Device specific issues:
- Samsung notebooks might encounter the 'line across the whole screen' issue that happens to all apps. The "UFS Controller" update from Samsung Update will fix this issue.
- Devices with HDR enabled on Windows display settings might experience issues writing on their using an active pen.
- Older devices have been noted to have had palm rejection issues, the Legacy Ink toggle has resolved some reports.