Note: you cannot unflatten annotations, so it is advised that you make a copy of your original marked up document if you require to make edits to these after sharing your document.
You can flatten all of the annotations in a document by:
- In the main menu on the left, tap on More (represented by the '...' icon).
- Select Annotations from the list of options.
- Select Flatten Annotations.
To flatten a single/group of annotation(s):
- Open Document
- Use the Pan or Select tool and annotation(s) you wish to flatten
- On the bottom menu bar, select Flatten
NOTE: remember to flatten you signature annotations so that they appear on the document.
To flatten form fields, you'll need to make a change in your App Settings:
- Select App Settings at the bottom of the Main Menu
- Go to Annotation
- Select Flatten form fields
Your form fields will now flatten when you choose to flatten all annotations.
Learn to save PDFs from our guide: How to save and save as
Why would I want to flatten a PDF?
Flatten PDFs if you want to ensure changes are saved properly and other recipients of the PDF can view it properly.
PDF's have the ability to keep annotations and changes non-permanent and adjustable while you are working on it. Flattening PDFs make details more compatible at the cost of making them non-editable from most PDF apps.
If you work between multiple apps, some apps might not read the 'non-permanent' annotations properly due to compatibility issues. (eg. rectangles with filled color losing their Opacity settings)